Medical Laboratory Technician
We believe our people are our strength and we take our employees’ health seriously. From medical coverage and life insurance to retirement plans, paid time off and much more, Steward Health Care provides you with a variety of benefits to address your unique needs.
Health & Wellness
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Short Term and Long-Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Retirement & Savings
- Tuition Reimbursements
- Loan Repayment
Work & Life Balance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Low Cost parking
- Up to 20% employee discount-Gift shop, onsite Café and Cafeteria
St. Joseph Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and
- Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital.
A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety.
You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
SUMMARY Under the general supervision of the Lead Medical Technologist, Supervisor, Assistant Lab Director, and Administrative Laboratory Director and according to established policies and procedures, performs various Clinical Laboratory tests. Reviews results to ensure accuracy of tests and takes appropriate actions in regards to abnormal and critical results. Must have their work checked by a Medical Technologist and may have some limitations related to their workload. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Service Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision, and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
Volunteers to fill shift vacancies and accommodates schedule to meet department needs.
Participates in PI activities by participating on teams, giving input to resolve problems, improve and enhance operations. People Consistently follows patient care, and facility guidelines and procedures in performance.
Collaborates with inter and intra-professional colleagues to ensure quality outcomes.
Works cooperatively with others, time permitting to accomplish other tasks as needed for the benefit of the Laboratory.
Completes annual education requirements.
Maintains competency, as evidenced by completion of competency validation requirements. Promotes of a culture of patient safety which results in the identification and reduction of unsafe practices.
Uses professional judgment and critical thinking to prepare, prioritize, and execute the patient’s plan of care consistent with patient assessment data, physicians’ treatment plans, and professional standards of care.
Implements measures to prevent exposure to infectious pathogens
and communicable conditions.
Identifies risks and hazards to patients through various risk assessments, with actions taken to mitigate patient harm.
Other duties as assigned.
Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
Handles, processes, tests, analyzes, prepares reports on and maintains records of specimens and patient test results according to established policies and procedures.
Applies knowledge of the clinical significance of test results and according to established procedures, communicates these results to the appropriate medical personnel.
Operates, performs quality control, maintains instrumentation, calibration, maintenance and take function check on following equipment as attached. Be able to monitor, troubleshoot and/or take correct action. Inform appropriate personnel when problems arise.
Performs and documents proficiency testing in same manner as patient samples.
Supportive of the compliance program set forth by ST. JOSEPH MEDICAL CENTER and demonstrated by: • Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance. • Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area. • Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives. Growth: Maintains competency and knowledge of current standards of practice, trends, and developments.
Enhances the patient experience by fostering a positive relationship with customers. Contributes to improving HCAHPS results.
Maintains knowledge of current trends and development in the field.
Pursues resolution to problems, give updates on status of tests, etc. and communicates/dialogs appropriately with health care providers to resolve. Finance: Promotes stewardship of hospital resources while ensuring quality patient care.
Assures that adequate supplies/reagents/materials are on hand in the assigned section.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Must have one of the following certifications as a Medical Laboratory Technician: MLT (ASCP), MLT (AMT) upon hire or within 90 days of hire. • Recent graduates from approved program within the last 6 months must be certified within 12 months after employment. • If ASCP certification after 2004 must maintain active credential status to maintain employment. • If AMT must maintain active credential status to maintain employment. • Completion of an Associate’s Degree in Medical Technology or related science and successful completion of a CAHEA approved program in Medical Laboratory Technician school or Graduate from an approved/accredited Associate’s degree program as a Medical Laboratory Technician, Biology or a closely related discipline. • Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, patients and families. • Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision, in order to independently carry out the duties of the position. • Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. • Basic computer knowledge. • Ability to work under stress in order to perform effectively in the position. • Demonstrates flexibility and initiative in workflow management. • Ability to perform routine and specialized laboratory procedures PREFERRED • Bi- or multilingual • At least 1 year of experience