Medical Technologist Blood Bank
**Medical Technologist Blood Bank**
Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Service Director and according to established policies and procedures, performs various Clinical Laboratory tests in one or more sections of the Laboratory. Analyzes and interprets test results and ensures accuracy of same. Uses technical competencies and judgment to respond and handle situations as they arise. Assists with the Laboratory PI program, ordering of supplies, developing procedures and other areas as needed. Senior technologists assume responsibility for charge duties when the Lab Service Director or Assistant Lab Director is not on-site.
Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision, and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
Participates in Performance Improvement activities such as chairing/participating in PI teams, giving input to resolve/improve issues.
Assists in procedure development, scheduling and other areas as needed.
Volunteers to fill shift vacancies and accommodates schedule to meet department needs.
Consistently follows patient care, and facility guidelines and procedures in performance.
Collaborates with inter and intraprofessional colleagues to ensure quality outcomes.
Communicates liaisons, instructs, and dialogs appropriately with health care providers, patients, and vendors on issues such as test interpretation, recommendations for alternate testing, instrumentation and problems with specimens/methodology.
Pursues solutions to technical or personnel problems and communicates to appropriate person.
Completes annual education requirements.
Maintains competency, as evidenced by completion of competency validation requirements.
Promotes of a culture of patient safety which results in the identification and reduction of unsafe practices.
Uses professional judgment and critical thinking to prepare, prioritize, and execute the patient’s plan of care consistent with patient assessment data, physicians’ treatment plans, and professional standards of care.
Implements measures to prevent exposure to infectious pathogens and communicable conditions.
Identifies risks and hazards to patients through various risk assessments, with actions taken to mitigate patient harm.
Other duties as assigned.
Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
Monitors, operates, troubleshoots, and performs quality control, calibration, and maintenance on instrumentation in assigned area. Identifies, documents, and takes corrective actions whenever test systems are outside designated parameters.
Assesses, processes, and analyzes specimens and reports results according to established policies and procedures. Maintains records of quality control and patient test results.
Performs and documents proficiency testing in the same manner as patient samples.
Applies knowledge of clinical significance of test results and communicates accurately and in a timely manner to the appropriate medical personnel.
Supportive of the compliance program set forth by Steward and demonstrated by:
• Upholds the Steward Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
• Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
• Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
• Certification as a Medical Technologist, CLS (NCA), MLS (ASCP), MT (ASCP), or MT (AMT)
• Recent graduates from approved program within the last 6 months must be certified within 12 months after employment
• If certified after 2004 must maintain active credential status to maintain employment.
• Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology or closely related science and successful completion of a CAHEA approved program in Medical Technology OR
• Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, and patients and their families.
• Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
• Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Basic computer knowledge; LIS and HIS
• Ability to perform routine and specialized laboratory procedures.
• Ability to work under stress in order to perform effectively in the position.
• Demonstrates flexibility and initiative in workflow management.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 121467