Behavioral Health Tech
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports the hospital’s Spirit of Serving Standards, in line with the Mission, Vision and values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
- Follows the guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Promotes a culture of safety for patients and Associates through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Make environmental rounds with incoming shift daily. Responsible for environmental log sheet. Keep patient room unit environment neat and orderly.
5. Takes vital sign and blood sugar as ordered. Responsible for reporting abnormal readings to charge nurse. Responsible for documenting vital signs in the medical record.
6. Monitors hallways according to Behavioral Department guidelines; make rounds every 15 minutes with close attention to special precautions.
7. Maintains safety in milieu by staying on the unit and engaging patient in a therapeutic interaction or activity, especially during free time.
- Search patient belongings and do visual body search on admission, using the wand. Responsible for documentation of patient valuables and belongings.
9. Reports to Registered Nurse any observed changes in behavior or condition of patients and unusual incidents.
10. Responds effectively with a patient at the defensive level with a directive approach by setting limits, making sure limits are clear, simple and enforceable.
a. Limit setting should be done objectively and in a non-threatening manner.
b. Understand and execute de-escalation for potential acting out behavior.
11. Understand and execute seclusion/restraint guideline; is aware of patient rights related to these emergency situations.
12. Provides and assists with safety for patients and peers when performing 1:1 for the assault risk patients by placing
themselves between the assigned patient and his peers at all times.
13. Daily assessment of patient needs and ADL; assists as needed.
14. Prepare patients for meals, check for correct tray, serve and assist with meals and snacks.
15. Transports patient to/from various departments. Collects and transports specimens to the correct department as needed.
16. Initiates or assists basic life support when needed.
17. Utilize appropriate tone, volume and cadence in all interactions.
18. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the IASIS Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
19. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- At least two years experience working with mental health patients.
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- CPI (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training Program) certification required within 30 days of hire
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- High school graduate or G.E.D.
- Technical, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills relevant to Behavioral Medicine in order to effectively communicate with physicians, team members, patients and families.
- Able to communicate effectively, in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Must demonstrate a caring and friendly attitude towards patients and customers.
- Demonstrates good body mechanics and lifting techniques.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of preventive management of aggressive behavior.
- Understands impact of laws affecting mental health care.
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- Employee Paid Life Insurance
- 401K w/match after 1 year of service
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Up to 20% Employee Cafeteria and Café Discount
- Discounted Tuition with affiliated University
- Inexpensive Parking
- Easy accessibility from Houston Freeways
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- Ancillary Insurance
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.