Unit Secretary - Labor & Delivery - PRN
JOB SUMMARY: (Briefly summarize the main duties and functions of the job):
Under the general supervision of the Director, and according to established policies and procedures, provides administrative support for assigned patient unit. In doing so, inputs orders in HBO, schedules diagnostic tests and therapies for patients, assembles and maintains patients’ charts, answers telephone and intercom calls, providing routine, approved information, and relays other calls and messages. Interviews patient to obtain information necessary to complete the admission process in specific departments.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports the hospital’s Spirit of Serving Standards in line with the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Hospital.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and Associates through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Collaborates with care team to arrange and\or assist with administrative\clinical patient needs.
5. Participates in educational and quality improvement activities including the orientation and training of new Associates.
6. Inputs orders from patient records into HBOC and notifies other Associates of orders requiring immediate attention. Completes appropriate requisition forms and informs other departments of ordered diagnostic tests, meals, therapies, and so forth.
7. Greets and directs patients and unit visitors. Maintains customer focused relationships with patients, families and physicians. Answers telephone calls, responds to routine inquiries, and relays other calls and messages. Responds to calls in a professional, customer focused manner and notifies appropriate persons.
8. Participates in measures to prevent exposure to infection pathogens and communicable conditions.
9. Interacts with bed control regarding bed vacancies and placement information.
10. Recognizes age related needs, sensory, and cultural considerations and adjusts care to reflect patient needs and preferences.
11. Assembles medical record for newly admitted patients and maintains current record by filing physician orders and test results, and other relevant documents. Maintains confidentiality of patient records. Assembles patient records upon discharge, transfer, or death according to pre-established Medical Records Department procedure and route record to Medical Records Department for processing.
12. Accesses other computer applications to provide support to team members meeting continuum of care needs.
13. Assists department\unit manager and resource nurse with staffing issues. Prepares reports and forms for incoming shift and for other departments.
14. Assists department\unit manager in scheduling and time keeping of Associates to prevent payroll irregularities.
15. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Safety & Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
16. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
17. Other duties as assigned and help with other departments if needed.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Experience in Acute Care facility preferred.
LICENSE/REGISTRATION/CERTIFICATION: American Heart Association Heartsaver AED certification is required.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- High school diploma or GED. One year work experience in order to complete written forms, comprehend and communicate verbal and written instructions and math skills to order supplies and assemble patient records.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to effectively and cordially interact with patients, families and various patient care personnel when obtaining necessary patient information and explaining Hospital policies and procedures.
- Analytical skills necessary in order to maintain admission and transfer records and gather various Hospital statistics.
- Clerical skills such as typing, computer knowledge and general medical terminology is preferred.