RN Clinical House Supervisor - Behavioral Medicine - FT, Nights
JOB SUMMARY: In collaboration with Director of Behavioral Medicine, the Shift Supervisor oversees the operations of Patient Care Services. Visits all patient care units daily to evaluate patient care issues and assists Clinical Nurse with patient care and managerial issues. Facilitates the resolution of customer service issues and inter and intradepartmental problems concerning utilization of supplies and equipment. The house supervisor is authorized to act in the absence of the Director for Behavioral Medicine during duty hours (nights, weekends, and holidays). Participates in Performance Improvement teams, projects or committees as directed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
- Provides oversight and coordinates the operations of Patient Care Service during hours of duty. Monitors/coordinates bed availability, room assignments. Evaluates unit activities and assists resource and clinical nurses in resolution of managerial problems. Consults and facilitates communication with Department Directors and Administrative Officer on Duty to resolve organizational problems and management issues.
- Review, adjusts unit staffing based on census and special needs (ie, 1:1). Collaborates with main staffing office for any staffing needs on the units.
7. Manages Code Gray calls during duty hours, directs patient care, and provides detailed information to appropriate departments when indicated. Facilitates and promotes the employee health and safety by providing education, information, reporting any employee injuries and exposures and performs selected Occupational Health activities.
8. Facilitates and promotes physician, patient, family and other customer satisfaction through investigation, and resolution of actual or perceived problems such as, medical and nursing staff, client/visitor problems, bed availability and staffing issues and inter/intradepartmental relationships. Mentors employees in problem resolution.
9. Facilitates communications, promotes/maintains relationships, and coordinates activities with other hospitals, and community agencies such as interagency transfers, media issues, acquisition or loan of equipment and supplies, and county agencies concerning death and burial arrangements.
11. Participates in projects, committees and performance improvement activities. Supports the Organization’s strategic objectives through communication and reinforcement of information. Assists in TJC compliance activities throughout the patient care areas.
12. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
a. Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
b. Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
c. Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
13 Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
· Two or more years clinical nursing experience in an acute care facility during which managerial and teaching abilities have been demonstrated.
· Current RN licensure issued by the Board of Nurse Examiners of the State of Texas.
· Current American Heart Association Health Care Provider certification.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
· Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing preferred. Management courses are preferred.
· Strong interpersonal skills in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, patients and families.
· Computer skills - word processing - electronic mail.
· Able to communicate effectively in writing.