Radiation Tech - Radiation Oncology - FT, Days
JOB SUMMARY: Under minimal supervision and according to established procedures, assists physicians by treating patients with prescribed doses of ionizing radiation supplied and controlled through specialized radiation equipment. In doing so, prepares treatment room, explains procedures to patients, positions patients and administers treatments. Monitors patients during therapy sessions in order to ensure patients’ comfort and to observe changes in patients’ condition. Complies with measures/activities to assure that patient/customer satisfaction results. Complies with and participates in maintaining an environment which support S.J.H. Philosophy, Mission, Values of Spirit.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports the hospital’s Spirit of Serving Standards, in line with the Mission, Vision and values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center’s Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI)
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and Associates through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
- Reviews patients’ medical charts for prescription, treatment time and prescribed dose. Confers with physicians and Clinical Physicist as necessary to clarify orders.
5. Prepares treatment room and equipment according to established procedures, and explains procedures to patients in order to allay fears and elicit cooperation. Informs patients of possible treatment reactions and advises on care of irradiated body areas.
6. Positions patients under equipment, according to procedure and required standards of accuracy, in order to expose diseased body areas to ionizing radiation treatment and to protect all other body areas form radiation.
7. Observes patients during procedures and reports any change in condition, psychological or physiological, to physician or other appropriate patient care Associates.
8. Assists in simulation treatment planning by scheduling diagnostic exams, reviewing treatment plans with physicians, obtaining tumor localization films, placing necessary markings on patients and recording necessary information.
9. Ensures all films, records and necessary data are provided to Medical Physicist for dosage calculations.
- May assist physicians in radium implants, following strict procedures of aesepsis and antisepsis. Observes strict precautions in handling of isotopes to prevent excessive exposure to radiation.
11. Inspects all equipment safety interlocks, monitors equipment and reports malfunctions.
12. Answers the telephone, giving factual information according to the nature of questions and within the guidelines of Hospital regulations.
13. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
14. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.