Prep/Scan Index Clerk
This position works collaboratively with employees in the Health Information Management Department, the Clinical Departments, the Quality, Utilization, and Risk Management Departments, Medical Staff Office, Patient Access and members of the medical staff to ensure that patient medical records contain accurate and reliable information in accordance with DNV Standards, hospital guidelines, medical staff bylaws, and state and federal regulations.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the IASIS Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
- Collects all discharged patient medical records from the patient care units on a daily basis.
- Prep all records for production into the Electronic Medical Record (Horizon Patient Folder), including loose documents, birth registry documents, and release of information documents with 97% accuracy meeting productivity standard of 5 inches of paper per hour. (1 inch = approximately 200 pages)
- Assembles discharge patient medical records by like document type by date.
- Scans 5000 images per hour (2500 pages per hour) into the Electronic Medical Record (Horizon Patient Folder).
- Performs indexing of images as necessary/requested. Indexes 1250 images per hour.
- Reviews assigned work queue(s) daily and ensures timely processing of all assignments in the queues.
- Records each indexed batch to the appropriate queue according to workflow processes.
- Performs dues associated with transcription clerical functions. (External queue reports, attaching demographics to pre-admit surgical patients once admitted, corrections to reports, fill in the blanks, etc.)
- Monitors supply usage in area and reports supply needs to the HIM Coordinator-Forms Designer for order. Ensures adequate supplies are maintained for area.
- Analyzes medical records of discharged patients for completeness and accuracy according to departmental policy, hospital Bylaws, Rules and Regulations, and regulatory agencies as requested. (Reference Analysis Productivity Standards for hourly productivity requirements.)
- Performs performance improvement audits on each medical record as directed by the Operations Manager or HIM Director.
- Assists with special projects as requested.
- Records productivity data and total figures at the end of the day.
- Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible and complete other tasks as needed or requested by the Operations Manager or HIM Director.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Medical record assembly experience preferred
- Computer experience
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- Ability to read in order to perform functions outlined in principal duties and responsibilities as typically acquired through completion of high school diploma or equivalent
- Medical terminology, preferred
- Command of the English Language
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral in order to explain medical record requirements to others and answer telephones
- Computer experience
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks with high level of accuracy and attention to details
- Ability to problem solve independently
- Ability to work independently and as part of the HIM Team
- Good analytical skills for performance of indexing functions and quality control reviews
- Terminal digit filing
- Chart format
- Chart workflow