Pool Surgical Tech Certified, (variable shift) Operating Room
Surgical Technician Certified (PRN)– Main Operating Room
We believe our people are our strength and we take our employees’ health seriously. From medical coverage and life insurance to retirement plans, paid time off and much more, Steward Health Care provides you with a variety of benefits to address your unique needs.
Retirement & Savings
- Low Cost parking
- Up to 20% employee discount-Gift shop, onsite Café and Cafeteria
St. Joseph Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience:
- Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital.
- A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety.
You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Our Operative Services provides surgical intervention in specialty areas of General, Robotics, Orthopedics, Cardiovascular, Cardiothoracic, Spine, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Urology, Otolaryngology, Plastic and Reconstructive, Oncology, Podiatry, Pediatric, Laser, Gynecologic and Obstetric surgery. The services provided are for both outpatient and inpatient populations. We have 16 Operating Rooms, and 1 Cysto Room.
Under supervision of the Circulating Nurse, the Surgical Technologist prepares for scheduled procedures and arranges sterile set up of instrument tables according to established protocol. He/she assists surgeons by passing instruments and supplies, holding retractors and anticipating surgeons’ needs during course of procedure. The surgical is also responsible for assisting with the processing of instrumentation, cleaning of the operating room/endoscopy suite and for proper storage placement of the equipment and supplies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Supports and maintains the Mission, Core Values and expected customer service behaviors of St. Joseph Medical Center.
Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
Promotes a culture of safety for patients and Associates through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
Keeps current regarding developments in surgical equipment, trends and techniques, through in-service programs.
Assists the RN in prioritizing implementation of physician orders according to patient need physician requests, and interdepartmental procedures.
Scrubs for cases according to established sterile procedures; dons sterile gown and gloves, and assists surgeons as needed.
Prepares for scheduled operative procedure by arranging sterile set up of instrument table with supplies, instruments and sutures required for specific procedures according to surgeons’ preference.
Assists during procedures, handles flexible scopes, acts to anticipate and respond to
Physicians' needs during course of procedure.
Passes instrument, sponges, sutures and other sterile supplies and equipment to surgeons and assistants during procedures, holds retraction devices and acts to anticipate and respond to surgeons’ needs during course of surgery.
Counts sponges, needles and instruments according to established policy and assists with sterile dressing of operative site following procedure. Responsible for cleaning of operating room/ endo suite according to established procedures following each case by removing drapes, replacing hamper and trash bags, disposing of used supplies, cleaning and returning equipment to appropriate storage areas, and so forth.
Cleans procedure room following each case by disposing of used supplies, cleaning and returning equipment to appropriate storage areas. Cleans and stores equipment
including flexible scopes.
Receives surgical specimens, places same in preservative solutions and notifies circulating nurse of type of specimen.
Performs related clerical and service duties such as answering telephones, relaying messages, scheduling cases, transporting patients to and from surgery, requisitioning supplies and so forth.
Participates as assigned in operating room services on call schedule and arrives on site within 45
Assists in orienting and training new associates.
Supportive of the compliance program set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
- Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Education, Training & Certification:
- Candidate is a graduate of an accredited educational program for surgical technologists and holds and maintains certification as a surgical technologist. New grads have 180 days after graduation to obtain certification.
- Candidate has completed an appropriate training program for surgical technology in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard of the United States of America or in the United States Public Health Service. Surgical technologist certification is preferred.
- Candidate completed a training program and was employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before September 1, 2009. Surgical technologist certification is preferred.
- BLS from American Heart Assosciation is required.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to interact with patients, surgeons and other patient care personnel, often during emergency or stressful situations.
- Analytical skills necessary in order to organize and prepare the operating room according to standard methods and procedures.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail for up to 80% of work time when performing technical tasks and anticipating surgeons’ needs.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods (more than 80% of work time) and to occasionally lift and position patients when preparing patients for operative procedures; and manual dexterity necessary to grasp and hold firmly retractors and delicate surgical instruments.
The employee will only be assigned to perform duties/tasks within their scope and competency.
The employee agrees to follow all established Unit/Department specific and Hospital guidelines as outlined.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.