Pool Radiation Therapist ( Variable Shifts)
JOB SUMMARY: Deliver ionizing radiation to the patient in accordance with the prescription and instructions of the Radiation Oncologist and under the general supervision of the physicist
Must be able to adhere to the Behavioral Expectations/Customer Service Standards, demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to insure safe operation of the facility, demonstrates compliance with HIPPA policies and procedures and an understanding of the population served.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph
- Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and
- Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected
- Health Information (PHI).
- Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper
reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
- Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to dealing appropriately and fairly with employee misconduct.
- Enforces all compliance policies as they pertain to his/her area.
- Provides and assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
- Ensures all preparations are complete prior to patient treatment
- Prepare room and equipment for patient according to prescription regarding immobilization devices, field size, treatment distance, lead protection devices, etc.
- Check prescription, diagnosis, chart and patient identification.
- Check daily treatment time and delivers prescribed dose.
- Ensures patient treatment meets all expectations and safety guidelines.
- Explain procedure to patient, means of communication during treatment and procedure to follow if emergency arises during treatment.
- Review Radiation Oncologist's advice to patient regarding reactions to treatment and their care.
- Deliver accurately the prescribed planned course of radiation therapy with minimal supervision.
- Transfer patient safely to treatment couch, giving special care to catheters, intravenous drips, etc.
- Maintain visual and audible communication with the patient during treatment.
- Maintain patient markings. Observe patient for unusual reactions and events and report accurate information to the nursing staff and/or Radiation Oncologist.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literate.
Demonstrated superior patient service skills in a direct patient care environment
- Knowledge of Aria 11, interfacing with eclipse planning system preferred
- Experience with Varian Clinac IX Linear Accelerator, IMRT treatment administration with on board imaging preferred
- Experience with Brachytherapy procedures including breast, vaginal and accuboost preferred
- Diagnostic C.T. experience preferred
- Current licensure as required by Texas state or national authority and/or certification or board eligible in Radiation Therapy by the American Registry of Radiology Technology. Maintain ARRT certification in radiation therapy with a minimum of documented 24 hours of continuing education.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic