Pool Lab Assistant- (Variable Shift); Lab- Clinical
SUMMARY Performs clerical and technical functions to ensure smooth workflow of the
department such as processing specimens, sending specimens to reference labs,
and giving results to physicians and/or nurses. Assesses integrity,
appropriateness, and labeling of specimens. Corrects or informs appropriate
personnel of issues. Maintains adequate supplies and performs clerical functions
such as faxing, filing, using the LIS and HIS systems, answering telephone, etc.
Operates/maintains equipment in designated area. In some areas, may be
required to perform specialized duties such as collecting blood, setting up testing
procedures, verifying insurance, or assisting with preparation for autopsies.
Service Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision, and
Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
Performs clerical functions such as faxing, filing, reviewing orders,
using the LIS and HIS systems, and answering telephones.
Participates in Performance Improvement activities by participating
in PI groups and gives input to enhance and improve operations.
People Consistently follows patient care, and facility guidelines and
procedures in performance.
Collaborates with inter and intraprofessional colleagues to ensure
Communicates/liaisons appropriately with health care providers to
resolve problems (i.e. inappropriate specimens, update status of
specimens and to dialog to ensure proper usage of pneumatic tube).
Assists with orientation and training of personnel.
Communicates responsibly to the Manager/Supervisor any issues or
Completes annual education requirements.
Maintains competency, as evidenced by completion of competency
Promotes of a culture of patient safety which results in the
identification and reduction of unsafe practices.
Uses professional judgment and critical thinking to prepare,
prioritize, and execute the patient’s plan of care consistent with
patient assessment data, physicians’ treatment plans, and professional
standards of care.
Implements measures to prevent exposure to infectious pathogens and
Identifies risks and hazards to patients through various risk
assessments, with actions taken to mitigate patient harm.
Other duties as assigned.
Follows the guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect
unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
Assesses integrity, appropriateness, and labeling of specimens.
Corrects or informs appropriate personnel of issues.
Operates/maintains equipment in assigned area such as centrifuges,
pneumatic tubes, and pre-analytic instrumentation.
Accessions specimens into computer in a timely manner.
Depending on section of the Laboratory:
• Collects blood samples following established procedures and
• Sets up specimens for testing, inoculates microbiology plates,
performs preliminary phase of some testing.
• Verify insurance and diagnosis code.
• Processes specimens, and routes out to appropriate
• Processes specimens to be sent out to reference labs.
• Performs order entry for various types of specimens and
processes admissions for different patient types, i.e. insurance,
contract and self-pay.
• Responsible for the accessioning and processing Non-GYN
specimens/smears, as outlined in the guidelines section of the
cytology manual. Troubleshoots and corrects any problems.
• Runs control to ensure staining is satisfactory for Pathologist
to review and interpret. Brings problems to attention of the
Histology Coordinator. Troubleshoots and corrects any
• Prepares laboratory solutions and reagents according to
established procedures and precise formulae, and order to
maintain adequate quantities to carry out assignments.
• Performs clerical functions such as faxing, filing, order
review, obtaining/adding information from/to computer,
answering telephones to give out information, placing direct
calls and/or receiving information.
• Maintains equipment by performing routine maintenance,
troubleshooting, cleaning and adjustment.
• Catalogues and files slides and blocks, and maintains records
of activities performed.
Supportive of the compliance program set forth by Steward and
• Upholds the Steward Standards of Conduct and Corporate
• Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies
relevant to his/her area.
• Assures timely compliance education as requested by the
Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through
Growth: Maintains competency and knowledge of current standards of
practice, trends, and developments.
Enhances the patient experience by fostering a positive relationship
with customers. Contributes to improving HCAHPS results.
Finance: Promotes stewardship of hospital resources while ensuring quality
Maintains and monitors supplies and material management system.
• Six months of experience in a clinical laboratory or physician office or
currently pursuing an education in healthcare.
• PBT (ASCP, ACA or ASPT) for lab assistants collecting specimens upon
hire or 90 days upon hire.
• Completion of high school diploma or GED.
• Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to area in
order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members,
and patients and their families.
• Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision in order to
independently carry out the duties of the position.
• Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Basic computer knowledge.
• Ability to work under stress in order to perform effectively in the
• Flexibility and initiative in workflow management.
PREFERRED • Bi- or multilingual