Pool Lab Assistant Laboratory ( Variable Shift)
Performs clerical and technical functions to ensure smooth workflow of the department such as processing specimens, sending specimens to reference labs, and giving results to physicians and/or nurses. Assesses integrity, appropriateness, and labeling of specimens. Corrects or informs appropriate personnel of issues. Maintains adequate supplies and performs clerical functions such as faxing, filing, using the LIS and HIS systems, answering telephone, etc. Operates/maintains equipment in designated area. In some areas, may be required to perform specialized duties such as collecting blood, setting up testing procedures, verifying insurance, or assisting with preparation for autopsies.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Service Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision, and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center. Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance. Performs clerical functions such as faxing, filing, reviewing orders, using the LIS and HIS systems, and answering telephones. Participates in Performance Improvement activities by participating in PI groups and gives input to enhance and improve operations. People Consistently follows patient care, and facility guidelines and procedures in performance. Collaborates with inter and intraprofessional colleagues to ensure quality outcomes. Communicates/liaisons appropriately with health care providers to resolve problems (i.e. inappropriate specimens, update status of specimens and to dialog to ensure proper usage of pneumatic tube). Assists with orientation and training of personnel. Communicates responsibly to the Manager/Supervisor any issues or concerns. Quality: Completes annual education requirements. Maintains competency, as evidenced by completion of competency validation requirements.Promotes of a culture of patient safety which results in the identification and reduction of unsafe practices. Uses professional judgment and critical thinking to prepare, prioritize, and execute the patient’s plan of care consistent with patient assessment data, physicians’ treatment plans, and professional standards of care. Implements measures to prevent exposure to infectious pathogens and communicable conditions. Identifies risks and hazards to patients through various risk assessments, with actions taken to mitigate patient harm. Other duties as assigned. Follows the guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI). Assesses integrity, appropriateness, and labeling of specimens. Corrects or informs appropriate personnel of issues. Operates/maintains equipment in assigned area such as centrifuges, pneumatic tubes, and pre-analytic instrumentation. Accessions specimens into computer in a timely manner.
Depending on section of the Laboratory:
• Collects blood samples following established procedures and aseptic techniques.
• Sets up specimens for testing, inoculates microbiology plates, performs preliminary phase of some testing.
• Verify insurance and diagnosis code.
• Processes specimens, and routes out to appropriate workstation.
• Processes specimens to be sent out to reference labs.
• Performs order entry for various types of specimens and processes admissions for different patient types, i.e. insurance, contract and self-pay.
• Responsible for the accessioning and processing Non-GYN specimens/smears, as outlined in the guidelines section of the cytology manual. Troubleshoots and corrects any problems.
• Runs control to ensure staining is satisfactory for Pathologist to review and interpret. Brings problems to attention of the Histology Coordinator. Troubleshoots and corrects any problems appropriately.
• Prepares laboratory solutions and reagents according to established procedures and precise formulae, and order to maintain adequate quantities to carry out assignments.
• Performs clerical functions such as faxing, filing, order review, obtaining/adding information from/to computer, answering telephones to give out information, placing direct calls and/or receiving information.
• Maintains equipment by performing routine maintenance, troubleshooting, cleaning and adjustment.
• Catalogues and files slides and blocks, and maintains records of activities performed. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by Steward and demonstrated by:
• Upholds the Steward Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance
• Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
• Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives. Growth: Maintains competency and knowledge of current standards of practice, trends, and developments. Enhances the patient experience by fostering a positive relationship with customers. Contributes to improving HCAHPS results. Finance: Promotes stewardship of hospital resources while ensuring quality patient care. Maintains and monitors supplies and material management system.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Six months of experience in a clinical laboratory or physician office or currently pursuing an education in healthcare.
• PBT (ASCP, ACA or ASPT) for lab assistants collecting specimens upon hire or 90 days upon hire.
• Completion of high school diploma or GED.
• Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, and patients and their families.
• Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
• Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
. • Basic computer knowledge.
• Ability to work under stress in order to perform effectively in the position.
• Flexibility and initiative in workflow management
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.