Part time Eve/Nights Medical Technologist Hematology
Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Operations Manager and according to established policies and procedures, performs various Clinical Laboratory tests in one or more sections of the Laboratory. Analyzes and interprets test results and ensures accuracy of same. Uses technical competencies and judgment to respond and handle situations as they arise. Assists with the Laboratory PI program, ordering of supplies, developing procedures and other areas as needed. Senior Technologists assume responsibility for charge duties when the Lab Operations Manager is not on-site.
SCOPE OF CARE:
The laboratory at SJMC is a full service laboratory fully accredited by The Joint Commission. Services include:
- Hermatology, Special Hematology incl. stains and semen analysis
- Urinalysis-biochemical dipstick and microscopic
- Chemistry-routine profiles, cardiac, toxicology, TDMs, immunoassays
- Microbiology-routine cultures, O&Ps, CSFs, and gram stains
- Transfusion Services-full service transfusioni center capable of blood typing, antibody screening and identification, compatibility testing, and rhogam testing. Blood products are stocked on site and available upon request at GCRBC.
- Reference Lab-testing not performed in-house is sent to a reference lab.
- Anatomic Pathology-Hisopathology/Cytopatholoy offers anatomic pathological diagnosis. Frozen sections performed in house. Rare antibody testing sent to a reference lab.
- Outpatient collection services
- Courier transportation services
Hours of Operation:
Clinical Laboratory Testing services - 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
Outpatient collection services - Monday - Friday 0730-1700
Anatomic Pathology services - Monday - Friday 0700-1700
Outreach Services - pickups Monday - Friday 0800-1830, weekend - STAT only, all testing 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Medical Technologist - None
- Senior Medical Technologist - 3 years of experience as a Medical Technologist preferred
- Certification as a Medical Technologist, CLS (NCA), MT (ASCP), or MT (AMT) or a minimum an earned associate degree in a Laboratory science or Medical Laboratory Technology from an accredited institution, or equivalent Laboratory training.
- Recent graduates from approved program within the last 6 months must be certified within 6 months after employment.
- If certified after 2004 must maintain active credential status to maintain employment.
Education & Training:
- Completion of a Bachelors Degree in Medical Technology or closely related science and successful completion of a CAHEA approved program in Medical Technology OR
- For personnel performing high complexity testing must have at a minimum an earned associate degree in a Laboratory science or Medical Laboratory Technology from an accredited institution, or equivalent Laboratory training.
- Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, and patients and their families.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge; LIS and HIS
- Ability to perform routine and specialized laboratory procedures.
- Ability to work under stress in order to perform effectively in the position.
- Demonstrates flexibility and initiative in workflow management.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MINORITIES / WOMEN / VETERANS / DISABLED