Intake Coordinator Psych Assess-PRN (7a-7p- day shift)- Intake
Intake Coordinator- Center for Behavioral Health (Intake)
We believe our people are our strength and we take our employees’ health seriously. From medical coverage and life insurance to retirement plans, paid time off and much more, Steward Health Care provides you with a variety of benefits to address your unique needs.
- Low cost parking
- Up to 20% employee discount-Gift shop, onsite Café and Cafeteria
St. Joseph Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience:
- Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital.
- A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety.
You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
The Intake Coordinator in Behavioral Medicine is responsible for interviewing patients or their representation to obtain needed clinical, financia, and demographic information. The Intake Coordinator must have knowledge of psychiatric illness and dual diagnosis illness. Prepares paperwork for the medical charts and billing folders. Handles involuntary commitment duties to ensure admission is carried out properly and that all paperwork is signed in preparation for court mandated deadlines.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
- Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
- Facilitates Departmental operations through completion of all patient logs, clinic coding, and other paper work.
- Ensures implementation of operational standards which promote the maintenance of patient rights, including informed consent, identification and reporting of any suspected patient abuse, explanation of treatment processes, maintenance of patient confidentiality, ethical considerations and handling of patient complaints.
- Interviews patient or patients’ representative to obtain accurate demographic and financial information and enters information into HBOC in an accurate fashion. Works as a liaison between patients within the community or outside facilities to assure that correct information is gathered in order to provide an appropriate admission or transfer.
- Must be able to verify third-party insurance, precert admissions, and obtain all clinical, financial, and demographic information for the medical chart and billing folder.
- Prepare paperwork necessary for admission to the department. Completes Medicare Secondary Questionnaire on Disable patient and those 65 years of age and older. Obtains Advance Directive information from all patients over 18 years of age. Provides written information to patient when requested.
- Maintains admission records by regularly recording and filing standard information, and gathers various statistics as required. Performs duties such as filing records, photocopying materials, answering phones, relaying messages, etc.
- Assists Department in trending and researching clinical denials. Keeps Calls Database up to date entering all calls received.
- Obtains all necessary signatures required according to established policies and procedures.
- Regularly contacts unit staff to verify patient admissions, transfers, and discharges. Also acts as a hospital resource for the resolution of difficult situations or admission problems. Takes crisis calls and is able to deescalate patient in order to safely direct patient to the ED.
- Informs family members regarding visiting hours and the need. Explains Hospital policies and regulations pertaining to patient rights, valuables, telephones, television, visiting hours, smoking, etc.
- Establishes an effective rapport with patients; interacts with them in a considerate and supportive manner. Responds to questions appropriately.
- Works with nurses and other coordinators at other facilities in order to transfer patients and maintain good relationships.
16. Reaches out to referral sources by making marketing calls in an effort to increase admissions.Conducts phone interviews with customers in a courteous, respectful and informative manner. Makes every effort to accommodate customer service preference.
- Greets and directs patients. Maintains customer-focused relationships with patients, families, and physicians. Answers telephone calls, responds to routine inquiries, and relays other calls and messages. Responds to calls in a professional, customer –focused manner and notifies appropriate person.
- Handles aggressive patients and families in a non-judgmental, non-punitive way.
19. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to dealing appropriately and fairly with employee misconduct.
- Enforces all compliance policies as they pertain to his/her area.
- Provides and assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- At least 3 years experience in hospital psychiatric environment.
- 3 years experience as an intake coordinator or mental health technician.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work preferred.
- Technical, critical thinking skills, and interpersonal skills relevant to Behavioral Medicine in order to effectively communicate with physicians, team members, patients and families.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision, in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Able to communicate effectively, in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge, including Excel.
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- COAP certification required within 30 days of hire
- Technical, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills relevant to Behavioral Medicine in order to effectively communicate with physicians, team members, patients and families.
- Able to communicate effectively, in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Must demonstrate a caring and friendly attitude towards patients and customers.
- Demonstrates good body mechanics and lifting techniques.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of preventive management of aggressive behavior.
- Understands impact of laws affecting mental health care.
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.