Histologist Technician - Certified
Reporting to the Lab Manager according to established procedures, prepares tissues for microscopic examination by the Pathologist; by freezing and cutting tissue samples, mounting specimens on slides, and staining or treating tissue with chemicals; in order to reveal specific structural details under microscopic analysis. Mounts and labels slides, and prepares solutions and reagents according to established formulae. Processes specimens as outlined in policies and procedures. Maintains equipment by performing routine maintenance, troubleshooting, cleaning, and adjustment.
SCOPE OF CARE:
The laboratory at SJMC is a full service laboratory fully accredited by The Joint Commission. Services include:
- Hermatology, Special Hematology incl. stains and semen analysis
- Urinalysis-biochemical dipstick and microscopic
- Chemistry-routine profiles, cardiac, toxicology, TDMs, immunoassays
- Microbiology-routine cultures, O&Ps, CSFs, and gram stains
- Transfusion Services-full service transfusioni center capable of blood typing, antibody screening and identification, compatibility testing, and rhogam testing. Blood products are stocked on site and available upon request at GCRBC.
- Reference Lab-testing not performed in-house is sent to a reference lab.
- Anatomic Pathology-Hisopathology/Cytopatholoy offers anatomic pathological diagnosis. Frozen sections performed in house. Rare antibody testing sent to a reference lab.
- Outpatient collection services
- Courier transportation services
Hours of Operation:
Clinical Laboratory Testing services - 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
Outpatient collection services - Monday - Friday 0730-1700
Anatomic Pathology services - Monday - Friday 0700-1700
Outreach Services - pickups Monday - Friday 0800-1830, weekend - STAT only, all testing 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Work Experience: None
- Current HT or HLT (ASCP) certification
- Recent graduates from approved program within the last 6 months must be certified within 6 months after employment. If certified after 2004 maintain active credential status to maintain employment.
Education & Training:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Graduate from a CAHEA accredited Histology.
- Good Histology technical skills.
- Critical thinking and good verbal and written communication skills, in order to communicate to Departments, and within the department; and to write test results, reports and other written communications.
- Good interpersonal skills in order to coordinate lab serves with Associates in the lab area and in other departments.
- Ability to work under stress in order to perform effectively in the position. Demonstrates flexibility and initiative in workflow management.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MINORITIES / WOMEN / VETERANS / DISABLED