Grade I Stationary Engineer
Perform diversified duties as assigned. Operate and maintain boilers. Observe various meters and gauges and take appropriate action for safe operation. Start, stop, switch over boilers as appropriate. Clean and repair boilers, blow tubes and discharge sediment, regulate feed water and condensation pumps, lubricate pump equipment. Follow preventative maintenance schedule. Perform work such as repack valves as needed, change piping, clean and paint in boiler room as needed, lubricate boiler compressors, pump and related parts regularly. Clean inside of boiler walls as needed. Repair and/or replace broken or worn parts, e.g. valves, meters, levers, etc. Keep log on each boiler and cooling tower water samples. Assign proper chemical treatment to boiling and cooling waters. Report major repair needs and unsafe conditions to supervisor. Keep boiler room clean and orderly.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- 1. Consistently supports the hospital’s Spirit of Serving Standards, in line with the Mission, Vision and values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
- 2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- 3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and Associates through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
- Perform periodic inspection of mechanical rooms throughout the Hospital to insure proper operation of heat, air conditioning and ventilation and medical support equipment (e.g., vacuum pumps, air compressors).
- Check pressure and temperature gauges periodically and log readings.
- Assist in maintaining and repairing HVAC controls and associated equipment to maximize efficiency levels in all environmentally controlled areas.
- Perform urgent corrective, routine, and requisitioned repairs of electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems as required.
- Performs daily water chemical tests for central plant equipment and satellite buildings, logs and records all changes and amounts used daily. Inventories and submits chemical replacement orders into office the first of every month.
- Performs daily inspection tours of satellite buildings, assuring all equipment is operating properly. Updates Lead Engineer by informing of any and all malfunctioning equipment.
- Maintains the Convent swimming pool at set temperatures and chemicals balance by filling and cleaning the pool daily.
- Maintains clean and organized work and parts room, lists all parts and tools needed either for stock or job to be completed.
- Work day, evening, or night shift as assigned with assigned responsibilities (see attached).
- Maintain established Hospital and Department policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control, and comply with codes and requirements of accreditation and regulatory agencies.
- Maintain records, reports, logs, statistics, and files as required.
- Perform other duties as directed.
16. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
17. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Two years experience in the operation of automatic and manually controlled high pressure steam boilers and two years experience in the operation of automatic and manual air conditioning systems.
- Experience should include both centrifugal and hermetic chillers.
- First Grade Stationary Engineer’s license and City of Houston Boiler License is required.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to communicate verbally and effectively with co-workers, Associates and patients, both in person and on the telephone.
- Demonstrates reasonable intelligence, accuracy, imagination and the ability to cooperate with others.
- Must be prompt and have a neat appearance.
- Recognizes emergency situations and makes proper decisions accordingly, with minimal direct supervision.