Cook - Hospital Kitchen
COOK - HOSPITAL KITCHEN
Under general supervision from the Kitchen Manager and Food Service Supervisor, performs the work of cooking personnel engaged in preparing meals for Hospital patients, employees and visitors.
In doing so,
- Reviews menus and work orders to determine types and quantities of meats, vegetables, soups, salads and desserts to prepare
- Operates a variety of manual and/or automated kitchen equipment such as ovens, grills, toasters, fryers, mixers, and blenders
- Performs advanced level cooking responsibilities such as working with multiple-step entrées and preparing combinations of complex food items
- Ensures that menu items are prepared in a timely manner and that items requiring advance preparation are prepared, cooked and ready for assigned meal time
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 3 – 5 years Supervisory experience in a food service Kitchen setting\
- Work requires knowledge of general policies and procedures followed in the cooking vocation; as well as proficiency in performing moderately complex, multiple-step food preparation procedures; as normally acquired through two-to-three years of on-the-job experience; in order to become familiar with production cooking techniques, standard recipes, and to learn departmental procedures and operations.
- Food Handlers Permit, City of Houston
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- Basic reading, writing, and math skills as typically acquired though the completion of a High School Diploma, GED, or the equivalent in work experience; plus specialized skills in food preparation which may be obtained in specialized High School curriculum or by (usually) up to one year of vocational training in cooking techniques and methods
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to exchange factual information with various dietary personnel when preparing foods.
- Analytical skills necessary to read and interpret recipes and calculate measures in order to prepare appropriate quantities.
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail for up to thirty percent of work time in order to measure ingredients, check menus, and monitor oven temperature.
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- Employee Paid Life Insurance
- 401K w/match after 1 year of service
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Discounted Tuition with affiliated University
- Inexpensive Parking
- Easy accessibility from Houston Freeways
- Short and Long-Term Disability
- Ancillary Insurance
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.