Clinical Nurse Manager- Emergency Room Services
JOB TITLE: Clinical Nurse Manager- Emergency Nursing Services
REPORTS TO: Director COST CENTER: 4655
Under the direction of the Director, the Emergency Department Nurse Manager (EDM) is responsible for managing all day to day activities of service and supporting the Associates who are providing care to assure efficient and adequate care, patient throughput and operational aspects of the department and interaction with other departments. They align resources to match the need of the patients while remaining within budget. The EDM is also responsible for assisting the director with hiring, coaching, mentoring, evaluating, and the disciplinary process. EDM is the leader of all patient care staff and assists the Director with leadership responsibilities. The EDM will assist with budgetary staffing, operational and capital allocation and requests. They are also responsible for unit councils and assisting in breaking down barriers to staff driven initiatives. This position is accountable for daily operational activities on a 24-hour basis. The incumbent in this position adheres to the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of St Joseph Medical Center and must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, the public and co-workers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
- Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
- Demonstrates leadership skills, professional and positive behavior, effective communication, decision-making, critical thinking and problem solving skills and conflict management and negotiation skills with staff, physicians and ancillary departments. Provides timely feedback and/or problem resolution. Fosters an environment for promoting teamwork in all aspects of the job, providing a customer service culture utilizing the Patient Interaction Process and achieving maximum productivity. Actively participates in all committees, task forces or department projects as assigned.
- Direct oversight of all patient care positions. Aligns all positions and departmental resources to assure, safe, effective and efficient care of patients. Responsible for monitoring and maintaining staff compliance to performance expectations. Provides direction and guidance to others regarding practice, serves as a resource, preceptor, and mentor. Conducts performance reviews and recognizes and rewards staff for meeting and exceeding standards of quality. Communicates frequently with the staff. Responsible for shift huddle, e-mails, and contribution to staff meeting content.
- Monitors all aspects of quality and patient safety. Provides feedback to the staff regarding any opportunities for improvement. Appropriately delegates patient care activities to other health care team members and participates on making and revising staff assignments.
- Works closely with peers in other departments and has understanding of and respect for other clinical disciplines. Works closely with and communicates frequently with department director regarding departmental issues as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Communicates effectively with all levels of management, physicians, peers and staff and works cooperatively with others. Consistently communicates/collaborates with the health care team members, patients and families to maximize patient outcomes.
- Works to develop strong and positive relationship with Houston Fire Department EMS staff. Demonstrates this relationship to nursing staff and holds staff accountable for same.
- Role models the Mission, Vision, and Values of SJMC. Coaches, counsels and mentors staff informally and formally. Serves as a liaison between physicians, other departments, patients, visitors and families to resolve concerns.
- Works closely with Director to set departmental goals and strategies to include all pillars. Determines outcomes for goals of department and staff and assists in determining operational and capital budgetary needs of the department.
- Is constantly mindful of staffing productivity, and efficient utilization of medical supplies within the scope of providing safe and quality patient care at all times.
- Identifies departmental needs regarding staffing. Assures schedule of all positions are appropriate to departmental needs and adjusts schedule according to census and acuity. Participates with Director and ED Education Coordinator (when applicable) and staff in the recruitment, interview, selection, orientation and retention process.
- Keeps informed of unit initiatives, and incorporates the outcomes of the team/committees work into practice and works with the team to achieve maximum productivity.
- Promotes the use of best practice by promoting the use of evidence based nursing/best practices throughout the unit. Utilizes evidenced-based data to improve care delivery and practice to enhance outcomes and incorporates evidence-based findings into nursing practice.
- Participates in process improvement initiatives. Participates in leadership activities to ensure service-oriented, quality, effective, safe continuity of patient care such as unit based Quality Assurance/Performance Improvement (QA/PI) initiatives and works closely with department director in development of improvement action plans.
- Develops, implements, and monitors (including direct observation) standards of practice for optimal patient outcomes. Maintains clinical competencies and is able to provide direct nursing care to patients.
- Investigates customer complaints and takes appropriate action and provides detailed documentation. Utilizes strong observational skills to identifying potential problems.
- Serves as a role model for SJMC service standards and effectively communicates Patient Satisfaction expectations and survey results. Initiates department specific protocols when appropriate. Identifies and treats immediate life threatening situations. Performs rapid primary assessment and assigns ESI acuity. Communicates with Nurses and team leaders and other members of the team to place patients as soon as possible in appropriate treatment area.
- Understands role in and is able to direct the Emergency Department in the face of a crisis. Implements incident command until formal team members have set up hospital incident command. Participates in Emergency response training as appropriate and directed by the department director.
- Collaborates with patients/families to identify realistic desired outcomes. Advocates for patient rights and identifies potential conflict. Seeks counsel for resolution of conflict.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to dealing appropriately and fairly with employee misconduct.
- Enforces all compliance policies as they pertain to his/her area.
- Provides and assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
The EDM has the primary responsibility for staying current with relevant compliance information and developments and for disseminating this information among his/her staff members. The EDM is also responsible to provide a courtesy copy of the materials shared with staff to the department director.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Membership in a professional nursing organization is preferred.
Ability to work in a stressful environment.
Demonstrates collaboration with physicians and mid-level providers.
Demonstrates the ability to direct individual accomplishments toward organizational objectives.
Strong verbal and written communication skills required. Experience with computerized systems and programs, such as Excel, Word, Power point, etc.
Minimum 4 years of Direct Emergency Department experience required with a demonstrated high level of clinical expertise in Emergency Nursing.
Minimum of 1 to 2 years leadership and/or management experience required. Demonstrated leadership qualities by serving successfully in a leadership capacity previously, i.e. charge, team lead, preceptor, educator etc.
Texas RN license required. BLS, ACLS, PALS, TNCC required and in addition, ENPC, CEN Preferred.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Current licensure as a RN with the Texas State Board of Nursing.
BSN required. Master's degree desirable.
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.