Clinical Coordinator, RN CVOR
Responsible for supervising education and training programs/activities of Clinical Nurses and Surgical Technicians.
Under the direction of the Director, the Clinical Coordinator ensures the delivery of quality patient care, within the assigned service area, through the nursing process; serves as a clinical resource and assists with problem solving and communication. The Clinical Coordinator circulates and/or scrubs, for a significant portion of work time as determined by caseload and staffing demands.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
- Reviews week-at-a-glance surgery schedule on a daily basis for implant and supply needs, equipment and/or instrument conflicts, new procedures/surgeons, etc. in order to meet needs proactively.
5. Reconciles resource maps for next day’s procedures with next day’s schedule on a daily basis, and makes additions or changes before Scheduling sends to SPD for pulling case carts. Maintains current resource maps and creates new resource maps as needed in assigned specialty.
6. Responsible for ordering and maintaining appropriate levels of service supplies on specialty carts, maintaining implant consignments, and maintaining appropriate contents of specialty packs.
- Coordinates and plans orientation and training of new hires/interns and cross training staff. Monitors and evaluates performance and progress of new hires/interns and staff. In this role provides input into corrective plan for new hires/interns and staff as needed.
- Monitors and evaluates quality of technical and professional nursing staff within the department. In so doing, recommends corrective actions including disciplinary action and/or training and continuous education activities as needed. Also assists Director by providing input into the performance evaluation process.
- Assists in developing and presenting in-service educational programs for the assigned service. In so doing, plans, schedules, and arranges resources, vendors, and speakers for the in-service event.
10. Responsible for staff compliance with departmental and hospital policies and procedures. Monitors staff compliance and provides input into areas needing to be addressed or changed.
11. Assists in implementing department and hospital initiatives (i.e. product conversions, equipment and product evaluations, mandatory meetings and education, etc.) through effective communication with physicians and staff regarding changes and/or expectations.
12. Represents Operating Room at section meetings in assigned specialty.
13. Participates in the interview process for new hires within the department.
14. Reviews daily and monthly staffing schedule and provides input to insure adequate coverage in specialty service.
15. Provides professional nursing care to patients, adhering to the nursing process and standards of care. In so doing coordinates rooms, provides breaks, and circulates for a portion of work time in response to work load or staffing demands.
16 Maintains clinical expertise as a peri-operative nurse; maintains knowledge of current trends and developments in the field by reading appropriate books, journals and other literature and attending related seminars, conferences and the like.
17. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
18. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.