Behavioral Health Navigator (Shift: 7a-4:30p-3x/week; 4p-1:30a; evening shift;9a-9p shift every 3rd weekend (10-12 hrs.)
Steward Health Care System is a community-based accountable care organization and community hospital network with more than 17,000 employees serving more than one million patients annually in more than 150 communities.
We are looking to hire a Behavioral Health Navigator who will work with teams comprised of corporate and hospital staff to create structures and processes to support the successful integration of behavioral health patients with primary care and outpatient services to alleviate gaps in care and provide a continuum of quality services to improve overall patient health. The Behavioral Health Navigator serves as the primary liaison for coordinating inpatient or community services for patients presenting to the emergency department for psychiatric services. Through screening, the Behavioral Health Navigator will provide early detection, brief intervention and referral for patients with behavioral health problems (e.g., mental health and alcohol & drug related health problems). They will also provide direct services to psychiatric patients of all ages in a hospital emergency department setting, including evaluations and level of care assessments along with other duties as assigned. The Behavioral Health Navigator is responsible for conducting appropriate assessments of the patient and providing any psychosocial intervention as needed. The Behavioral Health Navigator will accept referrals from the outpatient areas, refer to community agencies as necessary and provide education/ consultation to clinical staff to ensure achievement of quality outcomes.
Responsibilities for this position will include the following:
· Provide a workable strategy to effect change by facilitating or recommending appropriate referrals or preventative services, treatment and support for populations with alcohol, drugs or substance abuse.
· Evaluate psychiatric patients in the Emergency Department and make recommendations to the Emergency Department Physician as to the disposition of those patients.
· Oversight and management of the external Emergency Mental Health Crisis Teams that evaluate patients in Steward Emergency Departments.
· Competent in face to face private, confidential interviews with patients to assess the needs of patients from referrals directed by the Emergency Department physicians/staff. Documents the initiation of these referrals in the patient’s medical record.
· Confers with related health professionals in relation to the need for interdisciplinary information sharing and treatment planning. Uncovers barriers to care and develops an effective plan for alleviating these barriers to care for the safety ad betterment of the patient.
· Provide individualized psychotherapy, supportive counseling and group therapy as needed
· Responsible for documenting assessments, interventions, plans and related to the patient’s confidential medical record in accordance with HIPPA, industry, and compliance standards
· Educate PCP’s and clinical staff on alternative care management options
· Demonstrate effective leadership skills
· Provide education/consultation as needed to other mental health care team members and to health care consumers
· Maintain current up to date knowledge of regulatory requirements.
· Actively maintain a valid license to practice behavioral health independently in the state of MA
· Initiate & follow through with necessary patient contact, support and administrative functions to ensure
· Collaborate with other agencies for the education and benefit of the staff and hospital
· Perform analysis and report of various metrics as requested
· Participates in and or represents Community Health in community/hospital board/committee meetings as needed. Completes/leads assigned Community Health Projects as directed.
· Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
o Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external)
o Provides culturally competent care
o Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect to differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing diversity and interpreter services when needed.
· Serve as a liaison with other service providers or community supports for the continuous improvement of services to patients.
· Provide education and support for clients to engage in their care, improve health literacy and/or change their health behaviors (e.g. diet, medication adherence, compliance with doctor’s visits)
· Collaborates with the Physician and clinical staff to identify high risk medical/social management patients
· Educate patients regarding managed care and Medicare processes/regulations, coordinate discharge/follow up activities and perform home visits or meet patients in their community settings to ensure that they complete their insurance paperwork and have access to the appropriate healthcare services and community supports
· Make referrals to community agencies when appropriate
· Identify potential legal or risk management issues and discuss with their supervisor.
· Participate in continuing education programs that are relevant to job functioning
· Act as a patient advocate and perform other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Skills:
o Skilled in the Assessment, Diagnosis and Disposition of Behavioral Health patients
o Knowledgeable about services available to Behavioral Health Patients
o Ensures that the dignity of the patient/customer/employee is maintained at all times
o Abides by and upholds the hospitals service excellence standards
o Respects the diversity of the patient/customer/employee population
o Involves other departments in project planning and implementation
o Supports others in the department and provides help and assistance when possible
o Regularly attends and participates in team and or departmental meetings and activities
o Keeps others in the department informed of relevant information
o Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching
o Establishes and maintains effective working relationships
Required Experience, Education, Technical Skills and Licensure:
Requirements include 1-2 year’s direct experience, a Master’s degree (MA, MS, MSW) or Doctorate in Psychology or Social Work, the ability to read, write and speak English and licensure at the independent level in the state of Texas. Licensed Psychologist, Licensed Independent Clinical Social Workers (LICSW) or Licensed Mental Health Counselors (LMHC) are encouraged to apply. Computer skills are essential.